So your interested in having your teeth cosmetically lightened! You’re not alone. In fact, it seems only natural that most dental patients today are interested in having the brightest smile possible. The bleaching process reverses the discoloration of tooth enamel to create a whiter, more aesthetic appearance. The advantages of this procedure are that no natural tooth structure is lost, and no anesthetic is required.
What Bleaching Options Do I Have?
We offer two bleaching options in our office.
- Take Home Bleaching Kit. This option provides you with a custom tray that fits your teeth and the bleaching solution.
- We also offer our Xtra Boast in office bleaching system. This process allows the patient to walk out of the office with a vibrant smile after only one hour.
Is Dental Bleaching For Everyone?
Not necessarily. Bleaching, as mentioned previously, is only one alternative to restoring discolored teeth. Determining whether or not you are a candidate for dental bleaching is largely based upon diagnosing the exact cause of tooth discoloration. A number of factors contribute to discoloration, including:
- Tetracycline (antibiotic) staining
- Excessive fluoride
- Trauma (injury) to the teeth
- Pulp (nerve) degeneration
- Restorative materials (silver, gold)
- Genetic and acquired illnesses
- Consumption of staining substances, such as coffee, tea or tobacco products
Another consideration in determining if bleaching is for you is the strength and condition of the teeth. Careful clinical examination and X-rays will help determine if bleaching is indicated for your teeth.
Are There Any Other Considerations?
Yes. Bleaching is somewhat reversible. In order to attain the desired degree of whiteness, the procedure may have to be performed a number of times (normally 3-5 visits). You may also require a simple “touch-up” visit once a year to maintain your bright new smile.
A Final Note…
Occasionally patients do experience some sensitivity to cold food and beverages for a day or two following the procedure. Thus, we recommend you avoid enamel staining substances such as coffee, tea and tobacco products for several days following your bleaching appointment.
If you have any further questions about tooth bleaching, we are happy to answer them. Those patients in our practice who have undergone cosmetic dental bleaching treatment have acquired not only a more pleasing smile, but have experienced enhanced self-esteem and self-confidence, as well as increased peace of mind. Ask us how bleaching can benefit you.